My goal for writing this essay is to better understand the implications for learning advisors and students of moving from face-to-face tutorials and seminars to online teaching. As a coordinator as well as an advisor, I need to understand the process of adoption and change, the concerns that arise for both teaching and management individuals, and the strategies that best mitigate concerns and encourage enthusiastic adoption and expertise with online teaching technologies.
I will need to include information on the technology innovation. I’m not sure whether I should be referring to online teaching software in general, or focus on Adobe Connect, as that is the desktop sharing software the institution is currently using.
Introduce topic of online, synchronous teaching tools such as VoIPs and software that allows desktop sharing (specifically Adobe Connect), web conferencing and the creation and sharing of online teaching materials.
Importance – it provides flexible learning opportunities at times and places that better suit learners’ needs. It also provides more equitable access to academic support services.
Thesis statement – the impact on learners and academic advisors of introducing online teaching, specifically synchronous teaching of academic tutorials and workshops.
Section 1: Description of change models
– description of the CBAM change model. Explain how it applies to my context and the introduction of online teaching technologies (link to theory of diffusion?)
– description of LAT change model – explain importance in relation to the supports that need to be in place to support adoption in my context (link to theory of diffusion?)
Section 2: Implications of change models
– how well does CBAM model help inform educational practice in my context? Identify its strengths and limitations (and maybe other models that address limitations)
– how well does LAT model help inform educational practice in my context? Identify its strengths and limitations (and maybe other models that address limitations)
– summarise findings relevant to my context
– may identify if one model is better in my context for addressing the change process